Conservative MP says federal inaction on wildfires led to Atlantic Canada forest bans | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Rahim Mohamed
Publication Date: August 13, 2025 - 10:36

Conservative MP says federal inaction on wildfires led to Atlantic Canada forest bans

August 13, 2025

OTTAWA — An Alberta Conservative MP is blaming the Liberal government for a pair of contentious provincial bans on outdoor activities, saying federal officials didn’t do enough to stave off tinder dry conditions in Atlantic Canada.

Michelle Rempel Garner told reporters in Ottawa that years of Liberal inaction on wildfire preparedness forced Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to take the unprecedented action of closing off wooded areas to the public.

“Four full wildfire seasons ago, the Liberals promised more water bombers, more firefighters. Where are they?” said Rempel Garner, referring to a 2021 Liberal campaign promise to dedicate $500 million to community firefighting.

“(W)henever there’s a major crisis, what the Liberal government has done by their inaction has conditioned Canadians to expect that the only response they can see … is to restrict their movement,” she continued.

Rempel Garner wouldn’t say whether she objected to the provincial bans themselves.

She made the comments at an unrelated announcement on proposed criminal code reforms for non-resident offenders.

The sweeping provincial forest bans have divided conservatives along both regional and ideological lines, with some drawing drawing comparisons to COVID restrictions.

Ontario MP Leslyn Lewis, for example, speculated on social media that the bans could spiral into broader lockdowns.

“While the government says this is to prevent forest fires, the approach has left many feeling discouraged, disconnected, and wondering if there’s a bigger purpose at play,” tweeted Lewis.

Other Conservatives, such as ex-national campaign manager Fred DeLorey have defended the measures.

DeLorey, who is from Nova Scotia, wrote in a recent Substack post that the province’s forest ban was the product of “hard-earned wisdom.”

“Here’s the problem: Nova Scotia is built differently than the rest of the country … When conditions are this dry, even low-risk activity becomes high-stakes,” wrote DeLorey.

DeLorey is a close ally of Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston, who last week announced a 12-week ban on entering the woods, carrying a fine of $25,000 .

New Brunswick Premier Susan Holt followed Houston’s lead over the weekend in closing off the woods to recreational activities . No fine had been set as of press time.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre hasn’t said whether he supports the provincial restrictions.

The office of Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Rempel Garner’s accusation of Liberal inaction on wildfire preparedness.

National Post rmohamed@postmedia.com

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
A 71-year-old man from Cornwall, Ont., is facing charges after he allegedly stabbed an elderly woman in Ottawa in what police consider to be a hate-motivated crime. Police say a woman in her 70s entered a grocery store on Baseline Road with a friend at around 1:35 p.m. on Wednesday when she was approached by a man who stabbed her, causing serious injuries.
August 29, 2025 - 19:53 | | The Globe and Mail
Police remained in the area of Lansdowne Park Friday evening after responding to report of gunshots at about 4:20 p.m. Read More
August 29, 2025 - 19:35 | Joanne Laucius | Ottawa Citizen
In late July, Steffen Skjottelvik set out on what he knew would be a perilous journey through the Canadian North. Carrying a rifle and his backpack, and with his two huskies by his side, the Norwegian hiker planned to traverse 300 kilometres along the coast of Hudson Bay, from Fort Severn, Ont., to York Factory, a remote national historic site in Manitoba, about 250 km southeast of Churchill.
August 29, 2025 - 19:32 | Claire McFarlane | The Globe and Mail